Tracing SGA is useful especially when you don’t know that which DML statement is affecting a particular table and by which application process. To find out this kind of issues, you need to check Oracle SGA. In this tutorial, you will learn how to trace SGA using Toad for Oracle.
Suppose you have an Oracle Forms application and a Python application which are using the same schema and both the apps have the module to update EMPLOYEES table. Now you exactly want to know, that by which application the table is getting updated. Below is the example to trace the SGA to view which statement is updating the table EMPLOYEES.
Steps To Trace SGA Using Toad For Oracle
- In Toad, click on the menu Database > Monitor > SGA Trace/Optimization option.
- Then in SGA Trace window, select the type of statement from the first drop-down, for example, UPDATE Statements as shown in below image.
- Select the Schema from the second drop-down.
- Then click on the Refresh button right side of the Schema drop-down, to display the data below.
- After that, you can select the row below to view full statement below that grid and also you can check the module information like it is an Oracle form, Toad or Python application.
You can also enter any field name or table name in SQL Search Text column to filter out the result.